stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: renaming branches/4.2.0 to branches/4.2
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 23:08:33 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:

> Hmm. I admit I hadn't thought of the local checkout problem. Your
> suggestion sounds most sensible. The only concern I have is that
> we may not graduate before the release. (I guess I'd better hurry
> up with the proposal!) Maybe we could do both: leave 4.2.0 in
> place for now and also create 4.2 (or 4.2.x like APR would). Then,
> during the transition, we would drop 4.2.0. Does that seem like
> a good plan?

Well, we release the tags/ tree, not the branches/ tree, so it isn't
that much of a hassle either way.

You don't want two copies.  Best I can suggest is you ***might***
want a alias 4.2 for now that would go away, and be replaced with the
4.2.0 branch in a mv later.  SVN externals would let you accomplish
this without breaking things.

(Never use externals in a release tags/ tree however).

Bill