stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r565959 - /incubator/stdcxx/trunk/etc/config/src/EXTERN_C_EXCEPTIONS.cpp
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:10:47 GMT
Travis Vitek wrote:

>> Martin Sebor wrote:
>>
>> Farid Zaripov wrote:
>>>
>>> I've just tried to declare and define __rw_once with throw(...)
>>> exception specification and compiler doesn't issues warning in
>>> that case.
>
> Yes, but the documentation linked to explicitly says...
>
>   Explicit exception specifications are not allowed on C functions.
>   [http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wfa0edys(VS.80).aspx]
>
> I tested, it does compile, and the destructors are getting called as
> they should when an explicit throw(...) spec is added to the C linkage
> function. That said, I cringe at the thought relying on behavior that is
> documented to not work or is not supported.

FWIW, I looked to see if throw(...) is being used by any projects
out there and what for. I've found a few but none very helpful. In
particular, I found only one extern "C" function with throw(...),
and that's in some toy example. All the other hits point to C++
functions:

http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=throw%5C+*%5C%28%5C+*%5C.%5C.%5C.%5C+*%5C%29+lang%3Ac%2B%2B

Martin