stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "Farid Zaripov" <Farid_Zari...@epam.com>
Subject Re: atomic tests timing out on Windows
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:39:10 GMT
> Looks like the two atomic tests, atomic_add.exe and atomic_xchg.exe,
> are timing out in some (optimized) MSVC builds on Windows.

> First, the timeout seems to be set to 180 seconds on Windows but 300
> seconds on all other platforms. I think we should increase it on
> Windows to make it consistent. How do we go about adjusting the
> timeout?

> Second, I'm concerned that the atomic tests are timing out at all
> because when they run to completion they only take about 15 to 20
> seconds (depending on the hardware). Farid, have you seen this in
> your manual builds? (The test are important because they exercise
> functionality that string depends on for thread safety).

  That tests works fine, but slow. This is because of using critical
section
for synchronization for all types except signed/unsigned int and long
for
which are used InterlockedXXX functions.

  For example on my computer the one execution of the run_test<> takes
about 25 seconds when used critical section and only 3.5 seconds when
used InterlockedXXX functions. The full test takes 445 seconds. And a
big
strange is that CPU load only ~40% during the test.

  Maybe would be useful use own critical section like this:
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CritSectEx.asp

Farid.