stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: 21.string.rfind.cpp test fail reason
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2007 05:23:45 GMT
Farid Zaripov wrote:
>   The problem in 21.string.rfind.cpp test is invoking
> string::rfind(const value_type* ptr, size_type off = npos, size_type
> count)
> with count == string::max_size() + 1 (21.string.rfind.cpp lines
> 413-416).
> The method throws length_error() exception (line 756 file string.cc) but
> test
> not expected any exceptions.

The test should definitely be prepared to deal with exceptions, even
if they are not required or allowed. In this case I think it would be
perfectly reasonable not to throw and return npos to indicate that
the substring wasn't found. In fact, I believe would be more useful
than to throw.  IIRC, Anton and I discussed this but I don't see
an issue about it in Jira. This thread might be relevant:

http://www.mail-archive.com/stdcxx-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg01244.html

Martin