stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Black <abl...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] commit-then-review vs review-then-commit
Date Thu, 17 May 2007 23:55:54 GMT
One minor thing to consider is that some comitters are more familiar
with certain parts of the library than others.  As an example, I am most
familiar with the exec utility and the nightly build infrastructure.
These sorts of familiarity are generally known to the other active
comitters.  If I am making changes to a part someone else knows better
than I, I will generally ask them to review it, even if the change might
be considered minor.  However, if the change alters a section I am very
familiar with, I am more likely to commit the change without asking for
a review of it.

Unfortunately, it's hard to codify this knowledge in a concise manner,
and explicitly designating ownership of every file would almost be an
exercise in futility.

--Andrew Black