stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: question about locales
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:59:38 GMT
Patrick Happel wrote:
> Martin,
>   Sorry for not updating this earlier.  This problem may actually be due
> to the user having an out of date patch on their compiler.  We'll find
> out after they update.
>
>   I am actually working with someone else running into the same error,
> but possibly for a different reason:  The users are not allowed to
> modify the locale settings of the machine, and the locale is set to "C".
> So, all calls to setlocale(LC_ALL, locname) fail, and the
> locale_name_fmat utility actually returns '1' since it cannot set LC_ALL
> to an acceptable locale.

That might be the old test (from 4.1.3). Have them try the new
test from trunk. They should be able to grab the latest (from
trunk) LOCALE_NAME_FMAT.cpp, compile, link and run it and get
the expected output. If they don't, have them send us the
command line they used to compile and link the test, the output
of the test, and the full stack trace.

> They're working on getting the locale changed
> to one of the en_US locales, but any other ideas for a solution to this
> would be appreciated.

That should definitely not be necessary.

>   This is using version 4.1.0 of the library with Solaris 10/Sun Studio
> 10 on a SPARC machine.

Okay. 4.1.0 is ages old. I don't even remember what the test
looked like in that version. The simplest fix should be to use
the new one (or simply copy its output) and paste it into their
config header. This assumes the output of the test between 4.1.0
and today stayed compatible (there's one way to find out -- have
them try it :)

Martin

> Thanks,
>  -Patrick