stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: new container member functions cbegin() and cend()
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 20:44:49 GMT
Mark Brown wrote:
> The next C++ standard adds a couple of new container member functions, cbegin() and cend(),
that will make it easier to retrieve const iterators from non-const container objects. Are
there any plans to add these functions to stdcxx?

I assume you're referring to the Working Draft of the Standard for
Programming Language C++:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n2134.pdf

and the functions are those proposed in Walter Brown's Proposal
to Improve const_iterator Use from C++0X:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1674.pdf

I have no immediate plans to implement these functions but we
certainly expect and plan to implement the new C++ standard by
the time it comes out.

If you would like to submit a patch with these functions or any
other feature that's expected to be in the next standard you
are most welcome to do so. Small extensions like this one might
be okay for trunk. Bigger features will probably be more
appropriate for a yet-to-be created branch as suggested in
STDCXX-299: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-299

Martin