stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: --compat mode behavior issues
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:13:36 GMT
Andrew Black wrote:
> One probable reason is that some legacy tests (like 27_iosfile) produce
> multiple assertion totals (or are supposed to), and we want the last of
> these, rather than the first.

To handle this case we should process the file from the beginning
and take the last total as the final one.

> A second possible reason was to make the
> parsing FSM slightly simpler (though adding an additional character or
> two to the pattern shouldn't make it much more complex).

I don't think avoiding the seek would add too much complexity
(the default non-compat case doesn't seek and it's no more
complex than the compat mode).

> A final
> possible reason was to make the parsing faster for long output files.

If the common case is the default mode (i.e., not --compat)
we optimized the wrong branch :) In any case, getting correct
results slowly is better than getting the wrong results fast.

I suggest you rewrite check_compat_test() to avoid seeking
and scan the whole file, top to bottom, and take the last
total.

Martin