stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: duplicate error message in Windows builds
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:22:56 GMT
Farid Zaripov wrote:
[...]
>   I can't find information how the MSVC build is working.
>
>   The SolutionBuild object from MSVC automation objects model
> contain the method Build (which returns void) to build solution, and
> the property LastBuildInfo, which returns the number of projects that
> failed to build. So I make the conclusion that the devenv tries to build
> the all projects and counts the build fails using LastBuildInfo
> property.

I don't think that's necessary. If dependencies among
projects in the solution are set up correctly the Build
method should be able to compute the number of failed
projects simply by incrementing the counter for each
project one or more whose dependencies it already
tried to build and failed.

Can you tell if our dependencies are set up correctly?

I think the best way to confirm whether it is or isn't
possible to skip building projects whose dependencies
failed is to create a small toy example solution with
a couple of projects one of which depends on the other
and see if invoking the Build method causes both of
them to be build or just one.

Martin