stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Nightly testing failures on AIX 5.3
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 21:58:11 GMT
Andrew Black wrote:
> Greetings all.
>
> According to the nightly testing results (
> http://people.apache.org/~sebor/stdcxx/results/ ), we are observing
> execution failures of the test suite in dynamic builds on AIX 5.3.
>
> To diagnose the issue, I ran a manual build and tried executing a random
> test suite executable (23.bitset).  The following output was produced.
>
> exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./23.bitset because of the
> following errors:
>         0509-150   Dependent module librwtest11d.a(shr.o) could not be
> loaded.
>         0509-022 Cannot load module librwtest11d.a(shr.o).
>         0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does
> not exist.
>
> I believe that the cause of this failure is (my)
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=480202 subversion change. This
> change defines the SHARED_LDFLAGS make variable to be
> '-Wl,-bsvr4,-R$(LIBDIR)'.  The reason the -bsrv4 switch was used was to
> enable the use of the -R switch.  The -R switch embeds a library search
> path into the generated executable, so that setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> variable is unnecessary.  My suspicion is that the -R switch alters the
> behavior of the linker with regards to both dynamic libraries and static
> archives.
>
> I see two possible solutions to this issue.  The first solution is to
> add the rwtest directory to the path passed to the -R switch.  The
> second solution is to remove the use of the -bsrv4 and -R switches on
> AIX 5.3 (the AIX 5.2 linker doesn't support the switches, necessitating
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=480679 ).
>
> Thoughts?

I vote for the first approach. It works in my testing
and it is what we will eventually need to do once we
start building rwtest as a shared library.

Btw., I note that the -Wl,-bsvr4,-R$(LIBDIR) option
is on the library link line. I don't see why we need
to specify it there. Unless you have a goof reason
for it to be there can you please remove it?

Martin