stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r463535 - in /incubator/stdcxx/trunk: etc/config/makefile.common etc/config/makefile.rules util/cmdopt.cpp util/display.cpp util/output.cpp util/runall.cpp util/target.h
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2006 22:46:03 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:
> sebor@apache.org wrote:
>
>> Author: sebor
>> Date: Thu Oct 12 17:49:34 2006
>> New Revision: 463535

>> Log:
>> 2006-10-12  Andrew Black  <ablack@roguewave.com>
>>
>>     * makefile.rules (%.o: %(AS_EXT), %.o: %.cpp, %: %.o, %: %.cpp): Add
>>     $(TEEOPTS) to compile/link line so that output is routed to log
>> files.
>

> Andrew, I'm afraid there's a problem with this patch. The exit status
> of a pipeline is the exit status of the last command so piping stderr
> of the compiler (or linker) to tee will cause the pipeline to exit with
> the status of tee rather than that of the compiler or linker. That in
> turn prevents make from stopping after a compiler or linker error and
> allows it to continue processing subsequent commands. I'm going to have
> to revert the makefile changes. Can you please look into how else this
> could be done?

FYI, we might be able to use the PIPESTATUS bash special variable
when the shell is bash. With shells that don't provide equivalent
functionality we will either need to come up with an alternative
(e.g., our own implementation of a pipe that returns the exit
status of the first command instead of the last one), or count
the warnings only in batch builds and skip that part in interactive
ones. Are there any other options?

Martin