stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "Farid Zaripov" <Far...@kyiv.vdiweb.com>
Subject Run-Time Type Information
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:15:22 GMT
  MSVC (and ICC as well) have an option /GR

-------------
/GR (Enable Run-Time Type Information)
This option (/GR) adds code to check object types at run time. When this
option is specified, the compiler defines the _CPPRTTI preprocessor
macro. The option is cleared (/GR-) by default.
-------------

  This option is turned off by default. But projects, which uses typeid
or dynamic_cast operators must compiled with that option turned on.

  I found using of typeid and dynamic_cast in 18.exception.cpp test and
also dynamic_cast in include/loc/_locale.h (function __rw_get_facet())
and in include/tr1/_smartptr.h (function dynamic_pointer_cast()).

  Using of the function dynamic_pointer_cast() is found commented out in
2.smartptr.shared.cpp test.

  Using of the function __rw_get_facet() is found in _locale.h (function
has_facet()) but has_facet() used in many other places.

  Should we enable this option by default to all projects or for the
18.exception project only?

Farid.