stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Black <abl...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Use of Windows Jobs API in exec utility
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 19:11:23 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:
> Andrew Black wrote:
>> Greetings all.
>>
>> I have started looking at what would be required to implement the child
>> process limits logic and child process statistic gathering functionality
>> in the exec utility on Windows.
>>
>> The research I have done indicates that it is possible to accomplish
>> both tasks using the job object API (
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/job_objects.asp ).
>
> I assume you're looking at this API because it lets you gather
> process statistics for not just the child process but also for
> the grandchildren, correct? If so, I'm not sure such a total
> would be more interesting than the times for just the child
> alone (i.e., the Windows analogue of struct rusage obtained
> by the getrusage() call, which I think is GetProcessTimes()).

The main reason I was looking at the job API was so that an analog to
the ulimit switch could be added on the windows side.  I don't know how
important this is, but my thinking was that it should be considered if
we wished to try to maintain some kind of feature parity between windows
and the rest of the operating systems.

--Andrew Black