stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Black <abl...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: [patch] exec utility windows port
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:41:56 GMT
Greetings

Now that the preparation patch has been applied, I have updated the
actual port patch to reflect the current state of subversion.  This
patch is attached.  Below is the revised changelog which should reflect
the changes made in this iteration of the patch.

A concern I have about this patch is in the behavior of the soft kill
logic.  When I test the child process kill logic (by issuing a command
like 'exec.exe -t3 "exec.exe --sleep=10"'), I receive error output
similar to the following:
 > Sending child process Control-C failed with error 87.  Additionally,
FormatMessage failed with error 8.
 > Sending child process Control-Break failed with error 87.
Additionally, FormatMessage failed with error 8.
 From these error messages, I believe that the soft kills aren't being
sent to the child process, and I am uncertain as to the reason.  I would
appreciate it if someone who has more experience with Windows could look
into the problem.  I don't know if this is a big enough issue to stop
the patch from going in as it stands, as we are able to hard kill
processes, but it is something to consider first.

--Andrew Black

Log:
	* exec.h [_WIN32 || _WIN64] (exec_attrs): Alter structure definition
for windows.
	* exec.cpp [_WIN32 || _WIN64]: Use windows.h and process.h in place of
unistd.h and sys/wait.h on windows.
	  [!_WIN32 && !_WIN64] (handle_alrm, wait_for_child, open_input,
replace_file, exec_file): Reduce scope of (existing) functions to
non-windows platforms only.
	  [_WIN32 || _WIN64] (open_input, merge_argv, warn_last_error,
exec_file): Define implementation of named functions for windows
platforms only.
	* cmdopt.cpp [_WIN32 || _WIN64]: Use windows.h in place of unistd.h on
windows.
	  (escape_code, default_path_sep, suffix_sep, exe_suffix_len): Alter
values for windows.
	  (rw_sleep, rw_signal): Define platform independent wrapper for
sleep/Sleep and sigaction/signal.
	  (eval_options): Use above.
	* runall.cpp [!_WIN32 && !_WIN64]: Don't include sys/wait.h on windows.
	  (S_IXUSR, S_IXGRP, S_IXOTH): Define values if undefined (for windows).
	  (check_target_ok) [_WIN32 || _WIN64]: Make object file comparison
operating system specific.
	  (process_results) [_WIN32 || _WIN64]: Make error state processing
code operating system specific.
	  (rw_basename) [_WIN32 || _WIN64]: Treat / as an additional path
separator on windows.