stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: ostringstream performance
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:31:58 GMT
Ravi Inampudi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a customer using the ostringstream who is running the following test case which
is taking more than twice the amount between SourcePro ed 4 and ed 7. I also tried with ed
9 and found the performance a little better than ed 7 but still slower. Using quantify, the
possible source of the slowdown seem to happen in include/streambuf.cc, xsputn()'s for loop
.  Any known issues?  Timing results are shown below.

It could be this issue:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-149

Note that the inefficient behavior was mandated by the C++ standard
(and effectively still is, until the new standard is issued). The
development version of stdcxx implements the accepted resolution
and runs quite a bit faster (all there compiled at -O):

   # stdcxx 4.2 (unreleased)
   real    0m1.516s
   user    0m1.494s
   sys     0m0.018s