stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <>
Subject Re: Compiler Warning 552 with bitset
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 20:34:23 GMT
Craig Chariton wrote:
> I am getting a compiler Warning 552 on HP-UX 11.11 with an A.03.63
> compiler.  Here is the code that recreates the warning:
> I am not seeing this with gcc on Linux.  The code appears to run the
> fine on in both cases.  I was just wondering if this is a compiler issue
> and, if so, is there any reason for concern?

The answers are yes and no.

The HP bug number is JAGaf00255. The details of the bug report
are here:

There is no reason for concern, the compiler does the right thing
despite the warning. The warning can be suppressed either via the
compiler option +W552 or by #defining the configuration macro
_RWSTD_NO_EXT_BITSET_TO_STRING and disabling the library feature
that is giving the compiler trouble.

Note that since stdcxx implements the resolution of issue 434
and also provides, as a conforming extension, an overloaded
bitset ctor that takes a const char* argument, the program can
be simplified like this:

#include <bitset>
#include <iostream>

int main ()
     const char *a = "11";

     const std::bitset<8> header(a);   // stdcxx extension

     for (std::string::size_type i = 0; i < header.size (); ++i) {
         std::cout << header [i] << "\n";

     std::cout << header.to_string () << '\n';   // issue 434

Here's issue 434:

View raw message