stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: x.y.z numbering and releases
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 02:22:32 GMT
--On January 18, 2006 5:30:04 PM -0700 Martin Sebor <sebor@roguewave.com>
wrote:

> I don't think of the name of a file mentioned in emails as a release,
> least of all when it refers to a transient file in someone's home
> directory. Similarly, I don't consider an SVN branch to be an actual
> release, even if its contents were identical to it. With this mindset
> I can only see one potential effect of skipping versions on users --
> that of confusion.

One of the problems in working in open-source projects is that everyone can
see the release immediately.  Therefore, we don't have the ability to
'take' a release back - once you tag it or announce it in any public forum,
it's gone.  By enforcing a 'cheap' version number policy, we remove any
confusion: were they using the '1.2.3' release from Jan 10 or was that the
'1.2.3' release from Jan 15?  Instead, we make it crystal clear what the
release was by only allowing that version to be used once.  -- justin