stdcxx-dev mailing list archives

From "Lance Diduck" <lancedid...@nyc.rr.com>
Subject "Pluggable Memory"
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:49:59 GMT
To all: Here is an issue that may impact stdcxx.
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2005/n1850.pdf
This was just put up there, and written by a guy I work with Palbo Halpern,
and is a proposal to overhaul the STL containers to take polymorphic
allocators as the default, and furthermore to pass these allocators around
from container to container.

I don't know how the library committee reviews these proposals. However, a
way we could promote Apache stdcxx is to offer a realistic solution, that
operates with the Apache "Pluggable Memory" concept.
(http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/program-others.html and
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-c/programming.html ) There is an STL solution
that shouldn't require changes to the standard, and works for all vendors
(at least the ones that take optional allocator arguments). Using the STL
with polymorphic allocators makes some of the interface ambiguous however. A
more usable solution, could be an adapter that would not assume that
allocators compare equal, and enforces post-conditions (based on a policy)
that th standard does not address.

I have a paper here http://www.lancediduck.com/papers/Cpp/StatefulSTL.pdf
that could be the start of a doc on how to use Pluggable Memory with STL
containers.

Lance