stanbol-dev mailing list archives

From Dileepa Jayakody <dileepajayak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GSoC] [Update] FOAF Co-reference based Entity Disambiguation in Stanbol
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:22:29 GMT
Thanks a lot for your feedback Rupert.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Rupert Westenthaler <
rupert.westenthaler@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Andreas
>

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Andreas Kuckartz <a.kuckartz@ping.de>
> wrote:
> > Dileepa Jayakody:
> >> I have successfully implemented and tested the foaf disambiguation
> engine
> >> with the help of Stanbol community including Rupert, Rafa and Andreas.
> >
> > +1 and thanks to Rupert and Rafa from here as well !
> >

> From my viewpoint working with Dileepa and Antonio was very rewarding.
> Thanks for all the hard work both of them put into their GSoC
> projects.
>
> >> Please have a look at the disambiguation-foaf engine, try it out and
> give
> >> your comments for improvements. I appreciate your advice very much.
> >> I shall also create a Stanbol Jira with all details and attach the
> >> source-code and built bundle after finalizing the project.
> >

> I had a look at the source. IMO using the 'connectnes' of an entity
> with suggested one is something that should work well for any schema
> and is not just limited to FOAF.

+1. It doesn't necessarily have to be FOAF. The URI-reference type
properties of any schema/vocabulary can be evaluated for connectedness by
processing correlated links.

> In addition doing so should be
> relatively cheap (in comparison to calculating shortest paths as dome
> by the engine implemented by Antonio). In addition it can also work
> for entities originating from different vocabularies (if they refer
> some common resources) and does not require users to build up special
> index structures (as it can directly work on the relations in the
> vocabulary).
>
> To give a concrete example I could image to use such an engine to
> disambiguate persons with the same name but related to different
> companies as define within an CRM management system of a company.
>
> +1

> > What do others think regarding inclusion of Dileepa's engine in Apache
> > Stanbol ?
> >

> Thats the goal. For that Dileepa you will need to attach the source of
> your engine as attachment to STANBOL-1161. After that I can add your
> code to the Stanbol SVN (most likely to a branch where we can make
> further adaptions before including it to the trunk).
>
> Yes, I will do so and continue working with the community to imrove the
engine.

> Also note that there is also the freebase disambiguation engine from
> Antonio (STANBOL-1157) and I also noticed that both the foaf and the
> freebase disambiguation engine do share some code with the
> disambiguation-mlt engine. So maybe it would be the best to create a
> branch with all this disambiguation engines and try to extract some
> cross cutting functionalities to a common module. First candidates of
> such functionalities would be a Java API for representing
> disambiguation relevant data extracted from present
> fise:TextAnnotation and their suggestions (fise:EntityAnnotation) or a
> API for defining disambiguation contexts (such as sliding windows).
>
> +1. We realized that many engines require to work with common abstractions
for fist:EntityAnnotation and fise:TextAnnotation. Therefore it will be
helpful to developers if can build such common building blocks as APIs.

Looking fwd to work more on Stanbol on these parts.

Thanks,
Dileepa