stanbol-dev mailing list archives

From Rupert Westenthaler <rupert.westentha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to change the selection context retrieved in a Stanbol enhancement.
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 05:34:04 GMT
Hi Arthi,

Antonio is completely right.

The original idea of the 'fise:selection-context' property was to give
EnhancementEntinge the ability to specify the part of the text they
used as context for the annotation. The EntityTaggignEngine does this
by setting the selection-context to the three sentences used as
context for the OpenNLP NER module.

Engines that do not use such a context (e.g. write an Annotation only
because of the 'fise:selected-text' would not need to add any
'fise:selection-context'. However users have started to relay on the
selection-context to also (1) find mentions in rich-text documents
(where the fise:start/fise:end positions do not apply) and (2) UI
level elements (e.g. a tool-tip for users showing the context when
hovering over a suggested tag).

For (1) we have recently introduced the "TextAnnotation new model"
(STANBOL-????). This adds prefix/suffix to the fise:selected-text.
having those information makes it much easier as to re-find the exact
location by using the fise:selection-context together with the
fise:selected-text.

For (2) we do currently not have a good solution. An additional engine
that uses detected sentences or paragraphs (multiple line breaks
without any non-whitespace char in-between) would be a great addition
to Stanbol. Such an engine could provide configuration options that
allow users more control over the context included in enhancements.

For clearly supporting (2) I would suggest to add a new property
'fise:extraction-context' to be used by EnhancementEngines to specify
the part of the content used to create the annotation and repurpose
the current 'fise:selection-context' to be used for (2)

best
Rupert