stanbol-dev mailing list archives

From Hasan Hasan <ha...@trialox.org>
Subject Re: Future of Clerezza and Stanbol
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 13:39:53 GMT
Comments inline...

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto@apache.org> wrote:

> Ok, sorry for jumping into this discussion so lately. I've been having
> quite some discussion on the matter here at apacheconeu. Also I had
> prositive feedback from my resentation of Clerezza yesterday.
>
> I think two things:
> - For high level platform component it is often not clear if the fit better
> into Stanbol or into Clerezza
> - The RDF Api shoud actually be independen both from triple store provider
> as well as from consumer
>
> So I think a good solution would be to have the RDF liraries comprising:
> - A modular and very spec oriented API for RDF and related standards
> - A set of serializing and parsing providers
> - Adapters to triple stores (where the api isn't provided by the triple
> store)
> basically that's what in the org.apache.clerezza.rdf.* packages
>
> That's the stuff that would fit well into Stanbol. Provided that stanbol
> drops it's interretation of "REST" as "not for humans" and want to go to
> allow integrating (wherever possible as modular and optional components)
> media types designed for human consumptions and support REST approaches
> there as well (thinking of the current back-button unfriendly UI).

IMO, Clerezza is just too big for existing committers. If we could reduce
it to the
essential components dealing with rdf and leaving out templating and
rendering,
it may be easier to graduate.

- Scala Server Pages
> - TypeRendering (selection of templates based on the rdf type of the
> returned response)
> - Security (already integrated to some degree, code based security to run
> bundles in a sandboxed manner is not)
> - Shell (already ships in the stanbol launcher, so here it's about
> 'adopting' the sources)
> - Dev tools: rapid development support (create sample projects, have source
> files as bundles)
>
> To the attic:
> - Triaxrs: The Clerezza jax-rs implementation is no longer needed as the
> same support (jax-rs components asosgi services) is now provided by apache
> wink
> -  jssr 223 support
>
> In my opinion there is no urgent need for action, it is true that there
> hasn't been a lot of action in clerezza but imho the project os going on
> even at a low pace  (as other projects like e.g. the recently graduated
> wink).

Not sure about no urgent need for action. Maybe we should list the
requirements
to fulfil in order to be able to graduate. Wonder if we are able to meet
them.

Cheers
Hasan