stanbol-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Ansell <ansell.pe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future of Clerezza and Stanbol
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2012 23:57:52 GMT
On 12 November 2012 09:22, Rupert Westenthaler
<rupert.westenthaler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all ,
>
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto@apache.org> wrote:
>> - clerezza.rdf graudates as commons.rdf: a modular java/scala
>> implementation of rdf related APIs, usable with and without OSGi
>
> For me this immediately raises the question: Why should the Clerezza
> API become commons.rdf if 90+% (just a guess) of the Java RDF stuff is
> based on Jena and Sesame? Creating an Apache commons project based on
> an RDF API that is only used by a very low percentage of all Java RDF
> applications is not feasible. Generally I see not much room for a
> commons RDF project as long as there is not a commonly agreed RDF API
> for Java.

Given that the only current widely used Jena/Sesame abstraction layer,
the RDF2GO project, are no longer actively maintaining their
libraries, there is room in the market for a Jena/Sesame wrapper API,
if it is kept up to date with recent versions of both libraries.

Given that the underlying OpenRDF API is made up of interfaces, as
opposed to Jena that uses classes for important parts of their API, it
may be viable to switch to using the OpenRDF API with a non-Sesame
implementation for the Repository, and/or Sail APIs and work on a
conversion layer between Jena and Sesame where necessary, possibly
based on the library that Andy Seaborne and I have worked on at GitHub
in the past [1].

Cheers,

Peter

[1] https://github.com/ansell/JenaSesame