stanbol-dev mailing list archives

From Fabian Christ <christ.fab...@googlemail.com>
Subject Enhancer engine deps problem for releases
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 10:34:32 GMT
Hi,

I am investigating the current SNAPSHOT deps of the Stanbol components in
order to find out what can be released and in which order.

In the enhancer we have the problematic situation that we have enhancement
engines that rely on other components, like the refactor engine that relies
on rules.

This is problematic to cut an Enhancer release because we would need to
release, e.g. the rules component first.

I would like to prevent such situations. IMO it would be a more natural fit
if engines, that rely on a certain component, are removed from the Enhancer
source tree and moved to the source tree of that particular component or
even to a third place.

The Engines included in the enhancer/engines directory should only be
engines that do not have such dependencies. If this is the case, releasing
the enhancer with all independent engines raises no problems anymore.

My proposal would be to create a new top level folder in the source tree
for engines that rely on the availability of other components. We could
call it "enhancer-thirdparty-engines". This could also be a place for
contributed engines that we do not want to be in the default
enhancer/engines structure. Such engines will be released independently and
are not part of an Enhancer release anymore.

WDYT?

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt