stanbol-dev mailing list archives

From Fabian Christ <christ.fab...@googlemail.com>
Subject Release from branch or make trunk releasable?
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 14:26:28 GMT
Hi,

I would like to create a release candidate for a first source release
of Stanbol.

As some components can not be released because they are not stable or
have some license issues, I am thinking about creating a branch and
doing the release from that branch. Otherwise we have to remove every
component that is not releasable for any reason from the default build
process.

Either we keep the trunk releasable and move everything else into
another Maven profile or we have to work with branches to make
required changes and remove stuff that should not be released.

Another problem: For a release all components need to get fixed
versions (without SNAPSHOT). For a big source release we can not use
the Maven release plugin for this. I have to set the versions by hand.
If we do a release from trunk, we need something like a code freeze.
By releasing from a branch people could keep working on the trunk.

What should we do?

Best,
 - Fabian

--