stanbol-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Configuration UI (was: Redesigning the Entityhub Configuration)
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 15:06:50 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Fabian Christ
<christ.fabian@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I just wondered if we also need a more user friendly UI for
> configuring Stanbol. Having the OSGi console is nice for developers
> but it is very technical and overloaded with OSGi stuff that you don't
> have to understand if you just want to configure the entity hub....

Creating an alternate UI shouldn't be too hard if we need it, as long
as that talks to the ConfigurationAdmin service the effect will be
exactly the same as using the existing OSGi console, so invisible from
the services side.

Note, however, that the console uses OSGi's metatype services to get
the parameters names, descriptions and possible values, which is very
useful as all of those are then defined in annotations in our
services. I'm not sure how much the code that gets that info in the
webconsole is reusable, so work might be needed to reuse that.

> My experience with (default) configuration in software products are these rules:
>
> 1) provide defaults that are fine for most use cases...

As discussed in the http://markmail.org/thread/edwctqws76ccywng we
have two ways of providing default configs.

> 2) provide an easy to use configuration interface

See above

> 3) configure without requiring a system restart

Built-in with OSGi if services are designed correctly

> 4) have a strategy for updating configurations with new product versions

I'd recommend using bundle Activators for this: in the activator, get
the current config if it exists, and adapt it if needed.

-Bertrand