sqoop-dev mailing list archives

From Jarek Jarcec Cecho <jar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Work on 1.99.4 release has started
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2014 19:27:07 GMT
I can see that our usual release process [1] is instructing us to announce the intent of the
release two weeks in advance before cutting the release branch. I see a lot of value in the
goal as the two weeks are there to enable community to finish ongoing work and include it
in the release. We came up with this heads up in SVN times when cutting branch and keeping
code in sync has been relatively difficult.

Nowadays I feel that this requirement to cut release branch two weeks after announcement is
more harmful then really helpful. For example Veena is working on REST interface refactoring
(SQOOP-1509) that is split into several sub task for easier review and better tracking. As
the task as whole might not make it in two weeks for the release, I’m hesitating to commit
it’s parts. Similarly other bigger umbrella JIRAs. At one side I don’t want to jeopardize
the release itself, on the other side I don’t want to stop all the incoming contributions.

Hence I was thinking how to improve the process and I do have a proposal. Since the original
release procedure has been created, we’ve switched to git where cutting branches and cherry-picking
commits from one branch to another is easy, I would propose the following: Let’s cut the
release branch immediately or shortly after the announcement and let’s keep cherry-picking
commits that Release Manager want’s to include in the release while allowing ongoing possibly
destabilizing work on the main development branch.

Just to be sure - I’m not suggesting to remove the two weeks heads up period, I want to
keep it. I’m just suggesting to decouple the “branching” and “heads up”, so that
we can continue the fast pace of introducing changes without affecting the ongoing release
work.

Jarcec

Link:
1: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SQOOP/How+to+Release+Sqoop2#HowtoReleaseSqoop2-Giveaheadsup