spark-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Kim <bbuil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark SQL Thriftserver with HBase
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2016 20:43:05 GMT
This will give me an opportunity to start using Structured Streaming. Then, I can try adding
more functionality. If all goes well, then we could transition off of HBase to a more in-memory
data solution that can “spill-over” data for us.

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 11:53 AM, vincent gromakowski <vincent.gromakowski@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Instead of (or additionally to) saving results somewhere, you just start a thriftserver
that expose the Spark tables of the SQLContext (or SparkSession now). That means you can implement
any logic (and maybe use structured streaming) to expose your data. Today using the thriftserver
means reading data from the persistent store every query, so if the data modeling doesn't
fit the query it can be quite long.  What you generally do in a common spark job is to load
the data and cache spark table in a in-memory columnar table which is quite efficient for
any kind of query, the counterpart is that the cache isn't updated you have to implement a
reload mechanism, and this solution isn't available using the thriftserver.
> What I propose is to mix the two world: periodically/delta load data in spark table cache
and expose it through the thriftserver. But you have to implement the loading logic, it can
be very simple to very complex depending on your needs.

<mailto:vincent.gromakowski@gmail.com>> wrote:

>> I would suggest to code your own Spark thriftserver which seems to be very easy.
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27108863/accessing-spark-sql-rdd-tables-through-the-thrift-server
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27108863/accessing-spark-sql-rdd-tables-through-the-thrift-server>

>> I am starting to test it. The big advantage is that you can implement any logic because
it's a spark job and then start a thrift server on temporary table. For example you can query
a micro batch rdd from a kafka stream, or pre load some tables and implement a rolling cache
to periodically update the spark in memory tables with persistent store...
>> It's not part of the public API and I don't know yet what are the issues doing this
but I think Spark community should look at this path: making the thriftserver be instantiable
in any spark job.

>> Guys,
>> Sorry for jumping in late to the game…
>>
>> If memory serves (which may not be a good thing…) :
>>
>> You can use HiveServer2 as a connection point to HBase.
>> While this doesn’t perform well, its probably the cleanest solution.
>> I’m not keen on Phoenix… wouldn’t recommend it….
>>

>> The issue is that you’re trying to make HBase, a key/value object store, a Relational
Engine… its not.

>> There are some considerations which make HBase not ideal for all use cases and you
may find better performance with Parquet files.

>> One thing missing is the use of secondary indexing and query optimizations that you
have in RDBMSs and are lacking in HBase / MapRDB / etc …  so your performance will vary.

>> With respect to Tableau… their entire interface in to the big data world revolves
around the JDBC/ODBC interface. So if you don’t have that piece as part of your solution,
you’re DOA w respect to Tableau.

>> Have you considered Drill as your JDBC connection point?  (YAAP: Yet another Apache
project)

>>> On Oct 9, 2016, at 12:23 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> Thanks for all the suggestions. It would seem you guys are right about the Tableau
side of things. The reports don’t need to be real-time, and they won’t be directly feeding
off of the main DMP HBase data. Instead, it’ll be batched to Parquet or Kudu/Impala or even
PostgreSQL.

>>> I originally thought that we needed two-way data retrieval from the DMP HBase
for ID generation, but after further investigation into the use-case and architecture, the
ID generation needs to happen local to the Ad Servers where we generate a unique ID and store
it in a ID linking table. Even better, many of the 3rd party services supply this ID. So,
data only needs to flow in one direction. We will use Kafka as the bus for this. No JDBC required.
This is also goes for the REST Endpoints. 3rd party services will hit ours to update our data
with no need to read from our data. And, when we want to update their data, we will hit theirs
to update their data using a triggered job.

>>> This al boils down to just integrating with Kafka.
>>>
>>> Once again, thanks for all the help.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ben

data in-memory and refresh only when needed the in-memory data. This means you can import
it from any source and let your users work only on the in-memory data in Tableau Server.

already a good alternative. However, you should check if it contains a recent version of Hbase
and Phoenix. That being said, I just wonder what is the dataflow, data model and the analysis
you plan to do. Maybe there are completely different solutions possible. Especially these
single inserts, upserts etc. should be avoided as much as possible in the Big Data (analysis)
world with any technology, because they do not perform well.

You can put full tables in-memory with Hive using Ignite HDFS in-memory solution. All this
does only make sense if you do not use MR as an engine, the right input format (ORC, parquet)
and a recent Hive version.

CDH 5.8 as our distro. And, the Tableau released a Spark ODBC/JDBC driver too. I will either
try Phoenix JDBC Server for HBase or push to move faster to Kudu with Impala. We will use
Impala as the JDBC in-between until the Kudu team completes Spark SQL support for JDBC.

<mailto:mich.talebzadeh@gmail.com>> wrote:

> [...]
for your tableau users so Hive may be a better choice with its rich SQL and ODBC.JDBC connection
to Tableau already.

offering as well for frequently accessed data :)

<https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAEAAAAWh2gBxianrbJd6zP6AcPCCdOABUrV8Pw>

any loss, damage or destruction of data or any other property which may arise from relying
on this email's technical content is explicitly disclaimed. The author will in no case be
liable for any monetary damages arising from such loss, damage or destruction.

for external user reports. Second, we have servers that are ad servers and REST endpoints
for cookie sync and segmentation data exchange. These will use JDBC directly within the same
data-center. When not colocated in the same data-center, they will connected to a located
database server using JDBC. Either way, by using JDBC everywhere, it simplifies and unifies
the code on the JDBC industry standard.

use spark functional programming.

<mailto:felixcheung_m@hotmail.com>> wrote:
> [...]
JDBC server - HBASE would work better.

implementations of HBASE sources, each at varying level of development and different requirements
(HBASE release version, Kerberos support etc)

timestamp=1475866783376, value=1-Apr-08
timestamp=1475866783376, value=405.25
timestamp=1475866783376, value=406.75
timestamp=1475866783376, value=379.25
timestamp=1475866783376, value=380.00
timestamp=1475866783376, value=TESCO PLC
timestamp=1475866783376, value=TSCO
timestamp=1475866783376, value=49664486

select substr(to_char(to_date("Date",'dd-MMM-yy')),1,10) AS TradeDate, "close" AS "Day's close",
"high" AS "Day's High", "low" AS "Day's Low", "open" AS "Day's Open", "ticker", "volume",
(to_number("low")+to_number("high"))/2 AS "AverageDailyPrice" from "tsco" where to_number("volume")
> 0 and "high" != '-' and to_date("Date",'dd-MMM-yy') > to_date('2015-10-06','yyyy-MM-dd')
order by  to_date("Date",'dd-MMM-yy') limit 1;
Open  | ticker  |  volume   | AverageDailyPrice  |
     | TSCO    | 30046994  | 191.445            |

<https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAEAAAAWh2gBxianrbJd6zP6AcPCCdOABUrV8Pw>

for any loss, damage or destructionof data or any other property which may arise from relying
on this email's technical content is explicitly disclaimed.The author will in no case be liable
for any monetary damages arising from suchloss, damage or destruction.

allow you to do exactly that (replace org.apache.spark.sql.jdbc with HBASE one)

though. Would be great if you could share your experience with this!

tables using just SQL. I have been able to CREATE tables using this statement below in the
past:

SQL JDBC Thriftserver using SQL statements (SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, etc.). I want to do the
same with HBase tables. We tried this using Hive and HiveServer2, but the response times are
just too long.

If so the link below and several packages out there support that by having a HBASE data source
for Spark. There are some examples on how the Spark code look like in that link as well. On
that note, you should also be able to use the HBASE data source from pure SQL (Spark SQL)
query as well, which should work in the case with the Spark SQL JDBC Thrift Server (with USING,http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#tab_sql_10
<http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#tab_sql_10>).

in database terms that would run Spark scala code underneath. In this way, I can use Spark
SQL JDBC Thriftserver to execute it using SQL code passing the key, values I want to UPSERT.
I wonder if this is possible since I cannot CREATE a wrapper table on top of a HBase table
in Spark SQL?

SQL? I know in Hive we are able to create tables on top of an underlying HBase table that
can be accessed using MapReduce jobs. Can the same be done using HiveContext or SQLContext?
We are trying to setup a way to GET and POST data to and from the HBase table using the Spark
SQL JDBC thriftserver from our RESTful API endpoints and/or HTTP web farms. If we can get
this to work, then we can load balance the thriftservers. In addition, this will benefit us
in giving us a way to abstract the data storage layer away from the presentation layer code.
There is a chance that we will swap out the data storage technology in the future. We are
currently experimenting with Kudu.