spark-user mailing list archives

From Paolo Platter <paolo.plat...@agilelab.it>
Subject R: Re: Spark (SQL) as OLAP engine
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2015 09:27:23 GMT

Da: Kevin (Sangwoo) Kim<mailto:kevinkim@apache.org>
Inviato: ‎04/‎02/‎2015 08:27
A: fightfate@163.com<mailto:fightfate@163.com>; Kevin (Sangwoo) Kim<mailto:kevinkim@apache.org>;
McNerlin, Andrew (Agoda)<mailto:Andrew.McNerlin@agoda.com>; Sean McNamara<mailto:Sean.McNamara@webtrends.com>;
Adamantios Corais<mailto:adamantios.corais@gmail.com>
Cc: user<mailto:user@spark.apache.org>; moon@apache.org<mailto:moon@apache.org>
Oggetto: Re: Re: Spark (SQL) as OLAP engine

Hi Sun,

Sure, I'm a contributor of Zeppelin project and will gladly share some use cases.

Apache Zeppelin is a web-base notebook tool, like famous iPython notebook. Zeppelin is used
to be hive-driven but recently inspired by Databricks Cloud, it changed the engine to Spark
and Spark SQL, it just works really great and easy to use.

So I use zeppelin as,
1. Daily work environment.
I'm running 3 zeppelin instances, and one is for my data exploration.
I can easily manage Spark codes and re-run them.
I used to store my codes in Evernote and paste it into REPL, now no need to do like that.
Also I can easily use visualization features in Zeppelin like charting, table, it's much better
than Evernote + Spark shell.

2. Running batch job
I guess many data guys will be packaging an Spark application and run it through cron or something,
but in that way, you will be having a hard time when something is wrong. Zeppelin has a scheduler
inside (controlled by cron expression) and will automatically run a note content, So it's
easy to run a batch job (no need to deploy) and easy to maintain codes.

3. Data sharing through team
That's like the screenshot I've shared already,
I've made a dashboard and update it periodically using the scheduler.
Also you can inflate an html in Zeppelin table, you can have some image or link like this:
[cid:14b5375a76657af2b07]

4. Creating instant report
as a part of 1. Daily work environment, it's convenient to create instant data report and
review them with team. Compare to Spark-shell + google docs or PPT.

And I believe Zepplin + Spark has far more possibilities, I think it worth try!

Regards,
Kevin

On Wed Feb 04 2015 at 3:54:12 PM fightfate@163.com<mailto:fightfate@163.com> <fightfate@163.com<mailto:fightfate@163.com>>