spark-user mailing list archives

From David Rosenstrauch <dar...@darose.net>
Subject Re: SQL shell for Spark SQL?
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2014 14:27:28 GMT
Is the cli in fact a full replacement for shark?

The description says "The Spark SQL CLI is a convenient tool to run the
Hive metastore service in local mode ...".  The way I've used Shark in
the past, however, is to run the shark shell on a client machine and
connect it to a Hive metastore on a different machine.  (The Spark
master node.)  So in this use case, running the Hive metastore in local
mode on the client machine would not meet this goal.

Is it possible for the Spark SQL Cli to connect to an external Hive
metatore rather than running one internally?

Thanks,

DR