spark-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Publishing container images for Apache Spark
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2018 19:39:51 GMT
Hi,

I think your summary is spot on. I don't see further issues.

Craig

> On Jan 11, 2018, at 9:18 AM, Erik Erlandson <eerlands@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Dear ASF Legal Affairs Committee,
>
> The Apache Spark development community has begun some discussions <http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/Publishing-official-docker-images-for-KubernetesSchedulerBackend-td22928.html>
about publishing container images for Spark as part of its release process.  These discussions
were spurred by the upstream adoption of a new Kubernetes scheduling back-end, which by nature
operates via container images running Spark inside a Kubernetes cluster.

> The current state of thinking on this topic is influenced by the LEGAL-270 Jira <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-270>
which can be summarized as:
> * A container image has the same legal status as other derived distributions
> * As such, it is legally sound to publish a container image as long as that image corresponds
to an official project release
> * An image that is regularly built from non-release code (e.g. a 'spark:latest' image
built from the head of master branch) would not be legally approved
> * The image should not contain any code or binaries that carry GPL licenses, or other
licenses considered incompatible with ASF.

> We are reaching out to you to get your additional input on what requirements the community
should meet to engineer Apache Spark container images that meet ASF legal guidelines.

> The original dev@spark thread is here:
> http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/Publishing-official-docker-images-for-KubernetesSchedulerBackend-td22928.html
<http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/Publishing-official-docker-images-for-KubernetesSchedulerBackend-td22928.html>

> LEGAL-270: