spark-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anyone knows how to build and spark on jdk9?
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2017 17:02:11 GMT
Scala 2.12 is not yet supported on Spark - this means also not JDK9:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/SPARK-14220

If you look at the Oracle support then jdk 9 is anyway only supported for 6 months. JDK 8
is Lts (5 years) JDK 18.3 will be only 6 months and JDK 18.9 is lts (5 years).
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

I do not think Spark should support non-lts releases. Especially for JDK9 I do not see a strong
technical need, but maybe I am overlooking something. Of course http2 etc would be nice for
the web interfaces, but currently not very urgent.

> On 27. Oct 2017, at 04:44, Zhang, Liyun <liyun.zhang@intel.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks your suggestion, seems that scala 2.12.4 support jdk9
>
> Scala 2.12.4 is now available.
>
> Our benchmarks show a further reduction in compile times since 2.12.3 of 5-10%.
>
> Improved Java 9 friendliness, with more to come!
>

> Best Regards
> Kelly Zhang/Zhang,Liyun

for jiras related to JDK9. I only found SPARK-13278.  This means now spark can build or run
successfully on JDK9 ?