spark-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Austin Nothaft <fnoth...@berkeley.edu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.2.0 (RC1)
Date Mon, 01 May 2017 20:42:23 GMT
Hi Ryan,

IMO, the problem is that the Spark Avro version conflicts with the Parquet Avro version. As
discussed upthread, I don’t think there’s a way to reliably make sure that Avro 1.8 is
on the classpath first while using spark-submit. Relocating avro in our project wouldn’t
solve the problem, because the MethodNotFoundError is thrown from the internals of the ParquetAvroOutputFormat,
not from code in our project.

Regards,

Frank Austin Nothaft
fnothaft@berkeley.edu
fnothaft@eecs.berkeley.edu
202-340-0466

> On May 1, 2017, at 12:33 PM, Ryan Blue <rblue@netflix.com> wrote:
>
> Michael, I think that the problem is with your classpath.
>
> Spark has a dependency to 1.7.7, which can't be changed. Your project is what pulls in
parquet-avro and transitively Avro 1.8. Spark has no runtime dependency on Avro 1.8. It is
understandably annoying that using the same version of Parquet for your parquet-avro dependency
is what causes your project to depend on Avro 1.8, but Spark's dependencies aren't a problem
because its Parquet dependency doesn't bring in Avro.

> There are a few ways around this:
> 1. Make sure Avro 1.8 is found in the classpath first
> 2. Shade Avro 1.8 in your project (assuming Avro classes aren't shared)
> 3. Use parquet-avro 1.8.1 in your project, which I think should work with 1.8.2 and avoid
the Avro change

> The work-around in Spark is for tests, which do use parquet-avro. We can look at a Parquet
1.8.3 that avoids this issue, but I think this is reasonable for the 2.2.0 release.

> rb
>
> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Michael Heuer <heuermh@gmail.com <mailto:heuermh@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Please excuse me if I'm misunderstanding -- the problem is not with our library or our
classpath.

> There is a conflict within Spark itself, in that Parquet 1.8.2 expects to find Avro 1.8.0
on the runtime classpath and sees 1.7.7 instead.  Spark already has to work around this for
unit tests to pass.

> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Ryan Blue <rblue@netflix.com <mailto:rblue@netflix.com>>
wrote:
> Thanks for the extra context, Frank. I agree that it sounds like your problem comes from
the conflict between your Jars and what comes with Spark. Its the same concern that makes
everyone shudder when anything has a public dependency on Jackson. :)

> What we usually do to get around situations like this is to relocate the problem library
inside the shaded Jar. That way, Spark uses its version of Avro and your classes use a different
version of Avro. This works if you don't need to share classes between the two. Would that
work for your situation?

> rb
>
> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Koert Kuipers <koert@tresata.com <mailto:koert@tresata.com>>
wrote:
> sounds like you are running into the fact that you cannot really put your classes before
spark's on classpath? spark's switches to support this never really worked for me either.

> inability to control the classpath + inconsistent jars => trouble ?
>
> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Frank Austin Nothaft <fnothaft@berkeley.edu <mailto:fnothaft@berkeley.edu>>
wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> We do set Avro to 1.8 in our downstream project. We also set Spark as a provided dependency,
and build an überjar. We run via spark-submit, which builds the classpath with our überjar
and all of the Spark deps. This leads to avro 1.7.1 getting picked off of the classpath at
runtime, which causes the no such method exception to occur.

> Regards,
>
> Frank Austin Nothaft
> fnothaft@berkeley.edu <mailto:fnothaft@berkeley.edu>
> fnothaft@eecs.berkeley.edu <mailto:fnothaft@eecs.berkeley.edu>
> 202-340-0466 <tel:(202)%20340-0466>
>> On May 1, 2017, at 11:31 AM, Ryan Blue <rblue@netflix.com <mailto:rblue@netflix.com>>
wrote:

>> Frank,
>>
>> The issue you're running into is caused by using parquet-avro with Avro 1.7. Can't
your downstream project set the Avro dependency to 1.8? Spark can't update Avro because it
is a breaking change that would force users to rebuilt specific Avro classes in some cases.
But you should be free to use Avro 1.8 to avoid the problem.

>> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Frank Austin Nothaft <fnothaft@berkeley.edu <mailto:fnothaft@berkeley.edu>>
wrote:
>> Hi Ryan et al,
>>
>> The issue we’ve seen using a build of the Spark 2.2.0 branch from a downstream
project is that parquet-avro uses one of the new Avro 1.8.0 methods, and you get a NoSuchMethodError
since Spark puts Avro 1.7.7 as a dependency. My colleague Michael (who posted earlier on this
thread) documented this in Spark-19697 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-19697>.
I know that Spark has unit tests that check this compatibility issue, but it looks like there
was a recent change that sets a test scope dependency on Avro 1.8.0 <https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/0077bfcb93832d93009f73f4b80f2e3d98fd2fa4>,
which masks this issue in the unit tests. With this error, you can’t use the ParquetAvroOutputFormat
from a application running on Spark 2.2.0.

>> Regards,
>>
>> Frank Austin Nothaft
>> fnothaft@berkeley.edu <mailto:fnothaft@berkeley.edu>
>> fnothaft@eecs.berkeley.edu <mailto:fnothaft@eecs.berkeley.edu>
>> 202-340-0466 <tel:(202)%20340-0466>
>>
>>> On May 1, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Ryan Blue <rblue@netflix.com.INVALID <mailto:rblue@netflix.com.invalid>>
wrote:

>>> I agree with Sean. Spark only pulls in parquet-avro for tests. For execution,
it implements the record materialization APIs in Parquet to go directly to Spark SQL rows.
This doesn't actually leak an Avro 1.8 dependency into Spark as far as I can tell.

>>> rb
>>>
>>> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 8:34 AM, Sean Owen <sowen@cloudera.com <mailto:sowen@cloudera.com>>
wrote:
>>> See discussion at https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/17163 <https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/17163>
-- I think the issue is that fixing this trades one problem for a slightly bigger one.

>>> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 4:13 PM Michael Heuer <heuermh@gmail.com <mailto:heuermh@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> Version 2.2.0 bumps the dependency version for parquet to 1.8.2 but does not
bump the dependency version for avro (currently at 1.7.7).  Though perhaps not clear from
the issue I reported [0], this means that Spark is internally inconsistent, in that a call
through parquet (which depends on avro 1.8.0 [1]) may throw errors at runtime when it hits
avro 1.7.7 on the classpath.  Avro 1.8.0 is not binary compatible with 1.7.7.

>>> [0] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-19697 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-19697>
>>> [1] - https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/blob/apache-parquet-1.8.2/pom.xml#L96
<https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/blob/apache-parquet-1.8.2/pom.xml#L96>

>>> On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 3:28 AM, Sean Owen <sowen@cloudera.com <mailto:sowen@cloudera.com>>
wrote:
>>> I have one more issue that, if it needs to be fixed, needs to be fixed for 2.2.0.
>>>
>>> I'm fixing build warnings for the release and noticed that checkstyle actually
complains there are some Java methods named in TitleCase, like `ProcessingTimeTimeout`:

>>> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/17803/files#r113934080 <https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/17803/files#r113934080>
>>>
>>> Easy enough to fix and it's right, that's not conventional. However I wonder
if it was done on purpose to match a class name?

>>> I think this is one for @tdas
>>>
>>> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 7:31 PM Michael Armbrust <michael@databricks.com <mailto:michael@databricks.com>>
wrote:
>>> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.2.0.
The vote is open until Tues, May 2nd, 2017 at 12:00 PST and passes if a majority of at least
3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

>>> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.2.0
>>> [ ] -1 Do not release this package because ...
>>>

>>> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/ <http://spark.apache.org/>
>>>
>>> The tag to be voted on is v2.2.0-rc1 <https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.2.0-rc1>
(8ccb4a57c82146c1a8f8966c7e64010cf5632cb6)

>>> List of JIRA tickets resolved can be found with this filter <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-20134?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.1.1>.
>>>
>>> The release files, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
>>> http://home.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.2.0-rc1-bin/ <http://home.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.2.0-rc1-bin/>
>>>
>>> Release artifacts are signed with the following key:
>>> https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/pwendell.asc <https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/pwendell.asc>
>>>
>>> The staging repository for this release can be found at:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1235/ <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1235/>
>>>
>>> The documentation corresponding to this release can be found at:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.2.0-rc1-docs/ <http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.2.0-rc1-docs/>

>>> How can I help test this release?
>>>
>>> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking an existing
Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then reporting any regressions.

>>> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.2.0?
>>>
>>> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug fixes, documentation,
and API tweaks that impact compatibility should be worked on immediately. Everything else
please retarget to 2.3.0 or 2.2.1.

>>> But my bug isn't fixed!??!
>>>
>>> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the release unless
the bug in question is a regression from 2.1.1.