spark-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <ja...@japila.pl>
Subject Re: Mesos Spark Fine Grained Execution - CPU count
Date Mon, 26 Dec 2016 20:39:09 GMT
Hi Michael,

That caught my attention...

Could you please elaborate on "elastically grow and shrink CPU usage"
and how it really works under the covers? It seems that CPU usage is
just a "label" for an executor on Mesos. Where's this in the code?

Pozdrawiam,
Jacek Laskowski
----
https://medium.com/@jaceklaskowski/
Mastering Apache Spark 2.0 https://bit.ly/mastering-apache-spark

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 6:25 PM, Michael Gummelt <mgummelt@mesosphere.io> wrote:
>> Using 0 for spark.mesos.mesosExecutor.cores is better than dynamic
>> allocation
>
> Maybe for CPU, but definitely not for memory.  Executors never shut down in
> fine-grained mode, which means you only elastically grow and shrink CPU
> usage, not memory.
>
> On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 10:14 PM, Davies Liu <davies.liu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Using 0 for spark.mesos.mesosExecutor.cores is better than dynamic
>> allocation, but have to pay a little more overhead for launching a
>> task, which should be OK if the task is not trivial.
>>
>> Since the direct result (up to 1M by default) will also go through
>> mesos, it's better to tune it lower, otherwise mesos could become the
>> bottleneck.
>>
>> spark.task.maxDirectResultSize
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Chawla,Sumit <sumitkchawla@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Tim,
>> >
>> > We will try to run the application in coarse grain mode, and share the
>> > findings with you.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Sumit Chawla

 And