spark-dev mailing list archives

From Matei Zaharia <matei.zaha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mini-Proposal: Make it easier to contribute to the contributing to Spark Guide
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2016 16:59:40 GMT
Is there any way to tie wiki accounts with JIRA accounts? I found it weird that they're not
tied at the ASF.

Otherwise, moving this into the docs might make sense.

Matei

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 6:19 AM, Cody Koeninger <cody@koeninger.org> wrote:
>
> +1 to putting docs in one clear place.
>
> On Oct 18, 2016 6:40 AM, "Sean Owen" <sowen@cloudera.com <mailto:sowen@cloudera.com>>
wrote:
> I'm OK with that. The upside to the wiki is that it can be edited directly outside of
a release cycle. However, in practice I find that the wiki is rarely changed. To me it also
serves as a place for information that isn't exactly project documentation like "powered by"
listings.

> In a way I'd like to get rid of the wiki to have one less place for docs, that doesn't
have the same accessibility (I don't know who can give edit access), and doesn't have a review
process.

> For now I'd settle for bringing over a few key docs like the one you mention. I spent
a little time a while ago removing some duplication across the wiki and project docs and think
there's a bit more than could be done.

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 12:25 PM Holden Karau <holden@pigscanfly.ca <mailto:holden@pigscanfly.ca>>
wrote:
> Right now the wiki isn't particularly accessible to updates by external contributors.
We've already got a contributing to spark page which just links to the wiki - how about if
we just move the wiki contents over? This way contributors can contribute to our documentation
about how to contribute probably helping clear up points of confusion for new contributors
which the rest of us may be blind to.

> If we do this we would probably want to update the wiki page to point to the documentation
generated from markdown. It would also mean that the results of any update to the contributing
guide take a full release cycle to be visible. Another alternative would be opening up the
wiki to a broader set of people.

> I know a lot of people are probably getting ready for Spark Summit EU (and I hope to
catch up with some of y'all there) but I figured this a relatively minor proposal.