spark-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Graves <tgraves...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Minimize use of MINOR, BUILD, and HOTFIX w/ no JIRA
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2016 20:40:26 GMT
I think the problems comes in with your definition as well as peoples interpretation of that.
 I don't agree with your statement of "where the "how" is different from the "what"".
This could apply to a lot of things.  I could easily file a jira that says remove synchronization
on routine x, then change a lock.  No discussion needed and the how is the same as the what.
 But it could have huge impact on the code and definitely should have a jira.  It may be
a contrived example but there is a lot of leeway in that.  Which is why I think Patrick originally
sent this email and you said it yourself above that some of the things reverted  weren't
trivial enough to begin with.  That just proves people can't make that judgement call themselves.
 So why not just file a jira for everything?  Another example of this could be doc changes.
 you may think they are trivial but if someone changes the docs and remove configs or change
the wording such that users don't understand, then to me it should have had a jira and possibly
discussion before changing.
So based on that it seems like spending the 5 to 30 seconds to file a jira would only help
in tracking things and isn't much overhead.
We also base our release notes and other things on jira.
Also for hotfixes I think they should have the original jira or a separate jira (with brokenby
linked to original), again for tracking purposes. If we check something into master and then
later want to cherry-pick it back, I might just pick the original commit and totally miss
this "HOTFIX" that was required if they aren't properly linked.
Tom