spark-dev mailing list archives

From Matei Zaharia <matei.zaha...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Removing or changing maintainer process
Date Thu, 19 May 2016 15:34:59 GMT
Hi folks,

Around 1.5 years ago, Spark added a maintainer process for reviewing API and architectural
changes (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPARK/Committers#Committers-ReviewProcessandMaintainers)
to make sure these are seen by people who spent a lot of time on that component. At the time,
the worry was that changes might go unnoticed as the project grows, but there were also concerns
that this approach makes the project harder to contribute to and less welcoming. Since implementing
the model, I think that a good number of developers concluded it doesn't make a huge difference,
so because of these concerns, it may be useful to remove it. I've also heard that we should
try to keep some other instructions for contributors to find the "right" reviewers, so it
would be great to see suggestions on that. For my part, I'd personally prefer something "automatic",
such as easily tracking who reviewed each patch and having people look at the commit history
of the module they want to work on, instead of a list that needs to be maintained separately.

Matei