spark-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: SPARK-13843 and future of streaming backends
Date Sat, 19 Mar 2016 12:32:21 GMT

> On 18 Mar 2016, at 17:07, Marcelo Vanzin <vanzin@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Steve, thanks for the write up.
>
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 3:12 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> If you want a separate project, eg. SPARK-EXTRAS, then it *generally* needs to go
through incubation. While normally its the incubator PMC which sponsors/oversees the incubating
project, it doesn't have to be the case: the spark project can do it.

>> Also Apache Arrow managed to make it straight to toplevel without that process. Given
that the spark extras are already ASF source files, you could try the same thing, add all
the existing committers, then look for volunteers to keep things.

> Am I to understand from your reply that it's not possible for a single
> project to have multiple repos?

I don't know. there's generally a 1 project -> 1x issue, 1x JIRA.

but: hadoop core has 3x JIRA, 1x repo, and one set of write permissions to that repo, with
the special exception of branches (encryption, ipv6) that have their own committers.

oh, and I know that hadoop site is on SVN, as are other projects, just to integrate with asf
site publishing, so you can certainly have 1x git + 1 x svn

ASF won't normally let you have 1 repo with different bits of the tree having different access
rights, so you couldn't open up spark-extras to people with less permissions/rights than others.

A separate repo will, separate issue tracking helps you isolate stuff