spark-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Tungsten and sun.misc.Unsafe
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2015 18:11:52 GMT

On 21 Aug 2015, at 05:29, Marek Kolodziej <mkolod.dev@gmail.com<mailto:mkolod.dev@gmail.com>>
wrote:

I doubt that Oracle would want to make life difficult for everyone. In addition to Spark's
code base, projects such as Akka, Cassandra, Hibernate, Netty, Neo4j and Spring (among many
others) depend on Unsafe. Still, there are tons of posts about this issue in the Java community
(e.g. here<https://jaxenter.com/hazelcast-on-java-unsafe-class-119286.html>'s a Hazelcast
interview, also from Aug. 3, the day before the latest update to JEP 260). There are tons
of concerned posts on the blogosphere, too (e.g. here<http://blog.dripstat.com/removal-of-sun-misc-unsafe-a-disaster-in-the-making/>).

Have the leaders of the Spark community been following these Unsafe-related developments and
if so, what's Spark's plan of handling whatever Oracle throws our way?

I don't know about Spark, but I know that Hadoop uses a lot of it, introspecting into sun.security
for access to kerberos operations, switching to the ibm. equivalent. Without that kerberos
simply doesn't work.

As of now, the project's stance is "if Oracle want hadoop to run on Oracle Java 9, they'd
better have a plan"