spark-dev mailing list archives

From Robin East <robin.e...@xense.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 1.3.0 (RC2)
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2015 11:49:30 GMT
+1 (subject to comments on ec2 issues below)

machine 1: Macbook Air, OSX 10.10.2 (Yosemite), Java 8
machine 2: iMac, OSX 10.8.4, Java 7

1. mvn clean package -DskipTests  (33min/13min)
2. ran SVM benchmark https://github.com/insidedctm/spark-mllib-benchmark

EC2 issues:

1) Unable to successfully run servers on ec2 using the following command:
./spark-ec2 -k <key> -i <pathtokey> -s 2  launch test

Error was:
  Initializing Spark
  ERROR: Unknown Spark Version

This seems to be due to init.sh in https://github.com/mesos/spark-ec2/tree/branch-1.3/spark
not being updated for version 1.3.0.
Question: Is it expected that this repository is updated in tandem with the Spark release?

2) One of my machines fails to authenticate when running the ec2 scripts. Using spark-ec2
I get the following error:
  ssl.SSLError: [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate
verify failed

It seems this machine has a problem where openssl can’t verify server certificates. Not
been a problem for me before but spark1.3.0 has updated the boto repository it uses for EC2
functionality to 2.34.0. This new version has the capability to verify server certificates
when authenticating to AWS servers and the default behaviour is to check certificates. Clearly
this is not a Spark issue per se however if the problem I have is reasonably widespread then
there maybe quite a few issues coming up on the mailing lists. There is a workaround option
that could be put into spark_ec2.py script to turn off certificate validation if necessary.