spark-dev mailing list archives

From "Yiming \(John\) Zhang" <sdi...@gmail.com>
Subject re: mvn or sbt for studying and developing Spark?
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2014 02:11:18 GMT
Hi Dinesh, Sean, Michael, Stephen, Mark, and Patrick

Thank you for your reply and discussions. So the conclusion is that mvn is preferred when
packaging and distribution, while sbt is better for development. This also explains why the
compilation tool of make-distribution.sh changed from sbt (in spark-0.9) to mvn(in spark-1.0).

Cheers,

Yiming

发件人: Dinesh J. Weerakkody [mailto:dineshjweerakkody@gmail.com]
发送时间: 2014年11月16日 10:58
收件人: sdiris@gmail.com
抄送: dev@spark.apache.org
主题: Re: mvn or sbt for studying and developing Spark?

Hi Yiming,

I believe that both SBT and MVN is supported in SPARK, but SBT is preferred (I'm not 100%
sure about this :) ). When I'm using MVN I got some build failures. After that used SBT and
works fine.

You can go through these discussions regarding SBT vs MVN and learn pros and cons of both
[1] [2].

[1] http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Necessity-of-Maven-and-SBT-Build-in-Spark-td2315.html

[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/spark-developers/OxL268v0-Qs/fBeBY8zmh3oJ

Thanks,

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 7:11 AM, Yiming (John) Zhang <sdiris@gmail.com <mailto:sdiris@gmail.com>
> wrote:

Hi,

I am new in developing Spark and my current focus is about co-scheduling of
spark tasks. However, I am confused with the building tools: sometimes the
documentation uses mvn but sometimes uses sbt.

So, my question is that which one is the preferred tool of Spark community?
And what's the technical difference between them? Thank you!

Cheers,

Yiming

--

Thanks & Best Regards,