spark-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Rosen <rosenvi...@gmail.com>
Subject Scalastyle improvements / large code reformatting
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2014 04:37:04 GMT
There are a number of open pull requests that aim to extend Spark’s automated style checks
(see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-3849 for an umbrella JIRA).  These fixes
are mostly good, but I have some concerns about merging these patches.  Several of these
patches make large reformatting changes in nearly every file of Spark, which makes it more
difficult to use `git blame` and has the potential to introduce merge conflicts with all open
PRs and all backport patches.

I feel that most of the value of automated style-checks comes from allowing reviewers/committers
to focus on the technical content of pull requests rather than their formatting.  My concern
is that the convenience added by these new style rules will not outweigh the other overheads
that these reformatting patches will create for the committers.

If possible, it would be great if we could extend the style checker to enforce the more stringent
rules only for new code additions / deletions.  If not, I don’t think that we should proceed
with the reformatting.  Others might disagree, though, so I welcome comments / discussion.

- Josh