spark-dev mailing list archives

From Du Li <l...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: HiveContext: cache table not supported for partitioned table?
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2014 17:12:34 GMT
Thanks for your explanation.

From: Cheng Lian <lian.cs.zju@gmail.com<mailto:lian.cs.zju@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, October 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM
To: Du Li <lidu@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID<mailto:lidu@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>>, "dev@spark.apache.org<mailto:dev@spark.apache.org>"
<dev@spark.apache.org<mailto:dev@spark.apache.org>>
Cc: "user@spark.apache.org<mailto:user@spark.apache.org>" <user@spark.apache.org<mailto:user@spark.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: HiveContext: cache table not supported for partitioned table?

Cache table works with partitioned table.

I guess you’re experimenting with a default local metastore and the metastore_db directory
doesn’t exist at the first place. In this case, all metastore tables/views don’t exist
at first and will throw the error message you saw when the PARTITIONS metastore table is accessed
for the first time by Hive client. However, you should also see this line before this error:

14/10/03 10:51:30 ERROR ObjectStore: Direct SQL failed, falling back to ORM

And then the table is created on the fly. The cache operation is also performed normally.
You can verify this by selecting it and check the Spark UI for cached RDDs. If you try to
uncache the table and cache it again, you won’t see this error any more.

Normally, in production environment you won’t see this error because metastore database
is usually setup ahead of time.