spark-dev mailing list archives

From "Arthur.hk.chan@gmail.com" <arthur.hk.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Breaking the previous large-scale sort record with Spark
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:46:15 GMT
Wonderful !!

On 11 Oct, 2014, at 12:00 am, Nan Zhu <zhunanmcgill@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great! Congratulations!
>
> --
> Nan Zhu
> On Friday, October 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>
>> Brilliant stuff ! Congrats all :-)
>> This is indeed really heartening news !
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mridul
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Matei Zaharia <matei.zaharia@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I interrupt your regularly scheduled user / dev list to bring you some pretty
cool news for the project, which is that we've been able to use Spark to break MapReduce's
100 TB and 1 PB sort records, sorting data 3x faster on 10x fewer nodes. There's a detailed
writeup at http://databricks.com/blog/2014/10/10/spark-breaks-previous-large-scale-sort-record.html.
72 minutes on 2100 nodes, we sorted it in 23 minutes on 206 nodes; and we also scaled up to
sort 1 PB in 234 minutes.

>>> I want to thank Reynold Xin for leading this effort over the past few weeks,
along with Parviz Deyhim, Xiangrui Meng, Aaron Davidson and Ali Ghodsi. In addition, we'd
really like to thank Amazon's EC2 team for providing the machines to make this possible. Finally,
this result would of course not be possible without the many many other contributions, testing
and feature requests from throughout the community.

>>> For an engine to scale from these multi-hour petabyte batch jobs down to 100-millisecond
streaming and interactive queries is quite uncommon, and it's thanks to all of you folks that
we are able to make this happen.