spark-dev mailing list archives

From Debasish Das <debasish.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Constraint Solver for Spark
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2014 10:30:47 GMT
Hi Xiangrui,

I did some out-of-box comparisons with ECOS and PDCO from SOL.

Both of them seems to be running at par but I will do more detailed
analysis.

I used pdco's testQP randomized problem generation. pdcotestQP(m, n) means
m constraints and n variables

For ECOS runtime reference here is the paper
http://web.stanford.edu/~boyd/papers/pdf/ecos_ecc.pdf

It runs at par with gurobi but slower than MOSEK. Note that MOSEK is also a
SOCP solver.

K>> pdcotestQP(50, 100)

ECOSQP: Converting QP to SOCP...

ECOSQP: Time for Cholesky: 0.00 seconds

Conversion completed. Calling ECOS...

ECOS - (c) A. Domahidi, Automatic Control Laboratory, ETH Zurich, 2012-2014.

OPTIMAL (within feastol=1.0e-05, reltol=1.0e-06, abstol=1.0e-06).

Runtime: 0.010340 seconds.

   pdco.m                            Version of 23 Nov 2013

   Primal-dual barrier method to minimize a convex function

   subject to linear constraints Ax + r = b,  bl <= x <= bu

   Michael Saunders       SOL and ICME, Stanford University

   Contributors:     Byunggyoo Kim (SOL), Chris Maes (ICME)

                     Santiago Akle (ICME), Matt Zahr (ICME)

m        =       50     n        =      100      nnz(A)  =      483

Method   =       21     (1=chol  2=QR  3=LSMR  4=MINRES  21=SQD(LU)
22=SQD(MA57))

Elapsed time is 0.050226 seconds.

2. With a larger problem with 50 equality and 1000 variables:

K>> pdcotestQP(50, 1000)

ECOSQP: Converting QP to SOCP...

ECOSQP: Time for Cholesky: 0.05 seconds

Conversion completed. Calling ECOS...

ECOS - (c) A. Domahidi, Automatic Control Laboratory, ETH Zurich, 2012-2014.

OPTIMAL (within feastol=1.0e-05, reltol=1.0e-06, abstol=1.0e-06).

Runtime: 6.333036 seconds.

   pdco.m                            Version of 23 Nov 2013

   Primal-dual barrier method to minimize a convex function

   subject to linear constraints Ax + r = b,  bl <= x <= bu

   Michael Saunders       SOL and ICME, Stanford University

   Contributors:     Byunggyoo Kim (SOL), Chris Maes (ICME)

                     Santiago Akle (ICME), Matt Zahr (ICME)

The objective is defined by a function handle:

   @(x)deal(0.5*(x'*H*x)+c'*x,H*x+c,H)

The matrix A is an explicit sparse matrix

m        =       50     n        =     1000      nnz(A)  =     4842

Method   =       21     (1=chol  2=QR  3=LSMR  4=MINRES  21=SQD(LU)
22=SQD(MA57))

Elapsed time is 7.531934 seconds.

I will change the Method = 21 (LU) to 1 (chol) and that should help PDCO.
If both the IPMs are at par it's still a good idea to choose ECOS as the
generic IPM since it can solve conic programs which are a superset of
quadratic programs (robust portfolio optimization from quantitative finance
is an example of standard conic program).

For the runtime comparisons with ADMM based decomposition for simpler
constraints, I am doing further profiling and see if the jnilib is causing
any performance issues for ECOS calls...

Please look at the proximal algorithm references
http://web.stanford.edu/~boyd/papers/pdf/prox_algs.pdf. For many problems
like L1 constraint / positivity / bounds / huber / hyperplane projection
etc, the proximal operator is simple to evaluate and for these cases ADMM
decomposition has been shown to run faster than standard constraint solvers
like IPM. I am not very surprised that Sparse NMF runs in 4X runtime of
least squares using ADMM decomposition.

Distributed consensus is another ADMM decomposition which we are working
with right now. We will have some results on that soon. There the idea is
to use ADMM so that accumulator need not collect dense gradient vectors
from each worker. This development will further help the treeReduce work.

Should I open up Spark JIRA's so that we can document Quadratic
Minimization related runtime experiments/benchmarks and share the code for
review ?

Most likely the core solvers will go to breeze and in Spark mllib
optimization, I will add a QpSolver object which will call the underlying
breeze solvers based on the problem complexity....the ecos jnilib can be
part of breeze natives as it is GPL licensed (same as netlib-java
jniloader). I will push the jnilib as a PR to ecos repository
https://github.com/ifa-ethz/ecos

Thanks.

Deb
On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 1:52 AM, Xiangrui Meng <mengxr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Deb,
>
> KNITRO and MOSEK are both commercial. If you are looking for
> open-source ones, you can take a look at PDCO from SOL:
>
> http://web.stanford.edu/group/SOL/software/pdco/
>
> Each subproblem is really just a small QP. ADMM is designed for the
> cases when data is distributively stored or the objective function is
> complex but splittable. Neither applies to this case.
>
> Best,
> Xiangrui
>
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:05 PM, Debasish Das <debasish.das83@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Xiangrui,
> >
> > Could you please point to the IPM solver that you have positive results
> > with ? I was planning to compare with CVX, KNITRO from Professor Nocedal
> > and MOSEK probably...I don't have CPLEX license so I won't be able to do
> > that comparison...
> >
> > My experiments so far tells me that ADMM based solver is faster than IPM
> > for simpler constraints but then perhaps I did not choose the correct
> > IPM....
> >
> > Proximal algorithm paper also shows very similar results compared to CVX:
> >
> > http://web.stanford.edu/~boyd/papers/pdf/prox_algs.pdf
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Deb
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Xiangrui Meng <mengxr@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> You idea is close to what implicit feedback does. You can check the
> >> paper, which is short and concise. In the ALS setting, all subproblems
> >> are independent in each iteration. This is part of the reason why ALS
> >> is scalable. If you have some global constraints that make the
> >> subproblems no longer decoupled, that would certainly affects
> >> scalability. -Xiangrui

> problem....

> the
> computeYtY