spark-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hamstra <m...@clearstorydata.com>
Subject Re: Want to Contribute to spark
Date Sat, 05 Oct 2013 00:45:53 GMT
Ah, okay -- sorry for misunderstanding.  Coordinating development is
actually something that we haven't done a really good job of in the past.
 Mostly that is because so many of the important efforts were done in the
AMPLab, and there were enough small-scale projects that we haven't really
had a lot of trouble with conflicting or duplicative development.  That's
bound to change as more work gets done outside of the Lab and more
contributors come on board.

In the discussions we've had previously, we pretty much decided to give
JIRA a go as a place to rendezvous and coordinate efforts -- and then many
of us didn't do a very good job of following through on that intention.
 The Berkeley developers have done a better job than most at adhering to
this "Use JIRA" policy, and probably the rest of us should start emulating
them by finding or opening tickets for things we want to work on and then
using those tickets for design discussions and tracking who is currently
working on the issue.

Unless somebody has a better idea....

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM, hilfi alkaff <hilfialkaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, I mean, is there any logistic stuff I need to do before I work on a
> specific bug in the JIRA tickets (e.g. do I need to send notification to
> the mailing list that I am working in this bug, etc)? Sorry if this is an
> obvious question.
>

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Mark Hamstra <mark@clearstorydata.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Whether you are contributing large or small changes, pull requests
> through
> > github (as outlined previously) are by far the preferred method.
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM, hilfi alkaff <hilfialkaff@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Related to this thread, I would also like to start contributing to
> > > open-source but I currently do not have a lot of time to spare. I plan
> > > tackle the minor and trivial features for now. In this case, how
> should I
> > > go about doing this? Should I just email whoever is opening the
> tickets?
> > >
> > > Thanks,

> > find
> > > request"