spark-dev mailing list archives

From Henry Saputra <henry.sapu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark 0.8.0-incubating RC2
Date Sat, 07 Sep 2013 07:14:38 GMT
HI Patrick and all,

Here are my inputs and from my experience as release engineer for one
of incubating podling release before:
1. I only see source artifacts in Patrick's p.a.o URL. I assume the
pre-built ones will also be published with hash and signed?
2. For every ASF release, we need designated release engineer (RE)
that will drive the release process including determining bugs to be
included, make sure all files have the right ASF header (running maven
RAT plugin check), create release branch, update version for next
development, create release artifacts and sign them correctly. I
assume this would be Matei or Patrick?
3. The proposed source artifacts 0.8.0-RC2's signature looks good and
hash looks good. However it was generated against github mesos:spark
repo.
    Reminder that when we send proposal for release to
general@incubator.a.o we need to generate RC builds using ASF git repo
with the right tagged branch.
4. I ran RAT check for the source artifact and found a lot of source
do not have ASF license header.

 For example some in repl directory has this:

/* NSC -- new Scala compiler
 * Copyright 2005-2011 LAMP/EPFL
 * @author Paul Phillips
 */

Not sure if we need to ASF header to it since we are technically put
in under apache package.

Scala source files under mllib are missing ASF headers.

5. Add public key of RE to
http://people.apache.org/keys/group/spark.asc (@Chris do we still need
to create KEYS file in the Spark git repo?)

Once these are completed then the RE will ask dev@ list to verify the
proposed RC build/artifacts through VOTE thread. If we got no -1 then
we could bring it to general@ncubator.a.o list for VOTE from IPMCs.

Other mentors please do definitely chime in about it.

Thanks,

Henry