spark-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Rosen <rosenvi...@gmail.com>
Subject Licensing for PySpark's CloudPickle Module
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2013 04:46:17 GMT
PySpark's CloudPickle library was originally developed by PiCloud (
http://www.picloud.com/) and distributed under a non-BSD license.  I
contacted them last year and they agreed to let us bundle the CloudPickle
module under a BSD license.  Now that Spark is moving to an Apache license,
how does this impact this module?  What license will apply to future
changes to this module?  Do we need to obtain additional licensing from the
PiCloud folks?  I've attached my original correspondence with PiCloud, in
case that helps.

I ask because I'm interested in making some fixes to the cloudpickle code
and I'd like to collaborate with the PiCloud folks, if possible, since
they're more familiar with that code and may be interested in some of the
bugs that I've found.

Thanks,
Josh Rosen

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Josh Rosen <joshrosen@berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Subject: Re: Request to release the CloudPickler module as its own Python
package
To: Aaron Staley <aaron@picloud.com>
Cc: contact@picloud.com, Matei Zaharia <matei@eecs.berkeley.edu>

Hi Aaron,

I'm just interested in cloudpickle.py, debugpickle.py, and their small
dependencies.  We'll develop our own module transfer / dependency
deployment system or build on existing systems in Spark or Mesos, so I
don't need to use other code from PiCloud.

The CloudPickle module has been very useful and I appreciate your help with
the licensing.  I'll bundle cloudpickle.py and its dependencies with
PySpark and add the proper attribution in the docstring.

Thanks for your help,
Josh Rosen