From Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bai...@BUC.com>
Subject Re: Where to find the highest version to be installed by "yum"?
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2019 16:40:23 GMT
On 9/26/2019 5:48 PM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been experimenting with 2 distributions of *SpamAssassin *for my Linux server:
>
> (1) yum:
> based on /usr/bin
> Version 3.3.1
>
> (2) from Perl source:
> based on /usr/local/bin
> Version 3.4.2
>
> The biggest advantage of the former over the latter is that I don't have to deal
> with the intricate details of creating files for startup and shutdown in the
> directories /etc/rc.d init.d and /etc/sysconfig. "yum install" takes care of
> everything. "yum remove" is also very helpful.
>
> Question: Are you folks aware of any 'yum' repository that carries a version higher
> than 3.3.1?

I'm not aware of any newer yum repositories, but I will say that SpamAssassin is very
easy to build from source.  You only have to create the init.d scripts once and they
will continue to be used for any further updates.  In the 'spamd' directory of the
source, there are sample startup scripts provided for various distros.

--
Bowie