From John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org>
Subject Re: Spanish language i.c.w. DRUGS_ERECTILE et al.
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2019 18:10:11 GMT
On Thu, 29 Aug 2019, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>> On Wed, 28 Aug 2019, Samy Ascha wrote:
>>> Today, I encountered, for the first time, an issue with scanning an email
>>> that is composed in Spanish.
>>>
>>> It is hitting a fuzzy match somewhere in the DRUGS_ERECTILE and
>>> DRUGS_ERECTILE_OBFU rules matches.
>>>
>>> I'm generally looking for a way to manipulate these edge cases, where
>>> languages are likely to match rules assuming English for the body text.
>>>
>>> Is there any best-practice for this? I'm sure this happens in others'
>>> networks, but I'm totally unsure on how to best resolve this.
>>>
>>> Anything in the way of configuration to combat this, e.g. by combining
>>> language detection with other tags?
>>>
>>> Or, should I look into writing my own plugin to do something similar?
>
> On 28.08.19 07:48, John Hardin wrote:
>> Generally the approach is to add an exclusion for the specific valid
>> non-english word to the rule itself.
>
> imho the best approach would be excluding hitting exact word for valid
> language, e.g. FUZZY_CREDIT shouldn't hit work "kredit" for languages where
> it's written this way

Exactly.

> but that needs deeper logic...

And a familiarity with potentially many languages...

   Are you a mildly tech-literate politico horrified by the level of
   ignorance demonstrated by lawmakers gearing up to regulate online
   technology they don't even begin to grasp? Cool. Now you have a
   tiny glimpse into a day in the life of a gun owner.   -- Sean Davis
  882 days since the first commercial re-flight of an orbital booster (SpaceX)