From Rupert Gallagher <r...@protonmail.com>
Subject Re: Semi Off-topic: VFEMail destroyed
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2019 13:34:35 GMT
Live backups are unheard of. The best I can do is a write protected hourly backup, with manual
restore...

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 14:07, @lbutlr <kremels@kreme.com> wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2019, at 19:31, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
>>
>> If VFE had backups stored off-site via something like Amazon Glacier with no normal
in-band connectivity between the main systems and the backups, and the hacker went out of
their way to delete the backups, I don't think I could hold /that/ against VFE.

> I believe that when you hold customer data you have an obligation to have backups that
cannot be deterred by accessing your systems. There are many possible ways to do this, from
a rsync process on another machine that your network has no write access to that is able to
login and do a backup, all the way up to services like backblaze or Arq that will (or can)
keep differential backups for you.

> If your keys and passwords are so poorly guarded that someone can get access to everything
everywhere and destroy all the data then you did something wrong.